1. “Eclipse” Roman Abramovich’s yacht Eclipse has received a huge amount of industry attention, not just for its size but for the celebrity of its owner. If reports are correct, Eclipse could be the largest and most expensive superyacht ever built. At a reported cost of over £700 million and with a crew of up to 60, it is a giant of the sea. Eclipse is the fourth superyacht commissioned by Abramovich. Builder: Blohm + Voss .. Designer: Terence Disdale.. 162.5m Motor Yacht 2010
2.”Dubai” This magnificent yacht was originally commissioned by Prince Jefri Bolkiah of Brunei. Construction was suspended in 1998 and the vessel left unfinished until HH Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum secured the rumoured $300 million project. Platinum Yachts took the mega yacht to completion and in 2006 launched Dubai – the world’s largest private yacht. Builder: Platinum Yachts. Designer: Andrew Winch De.. 162m Motor Yacht 2006
3. “Al Said” Like most royal superyachts, little is known about Al Said, the giant mega yacht formerly codenamed “Project Sunflower”. Delivered to the Sultan of Oman in 2008 as a replacement for a smaller mega yacht with the same name. At a stunning 155m, Al-Said consists of six large decks and features striking exterior and interior design by Espen Oeino International, the same company that designed the stunning 127m mega yacht Octopus. According to reports, Al Said is said to accommodate as many as 70 guests and 154 professional crew, as well as featuring a concert room capable of accommodating a 50 piece orchestra. Builder: Lurssen Yachts. Designer: Espen Oeino.. 155m Motor Yacht 2008
4. “Prince Abdulaziz” As one of the yachts of the Saudi Royal Family, Prince Abdulaziz is used to conduct official business as well as for pleasure. The largest yacht built in the 20th century, the interior alone took 15 months to complete. Originally built for the late King Fahd of Saudi Arabia who named the yacht after his son, it is now owned by his brother Abdullah. Builder: Helsingor Vaerft. Designer: Maierform Marit.. 147m Motor Yacht 1984
5. “El Horriya” this Egyptian presidential yacht is not only one of the world’s largest but also one of the oldest. Built-in 1865 in London, the yacht was intended for the King of Egypt. Originally named Mahroussa, El Horriya was extended in 1872 and again in 1905. Nowadays she is berthed in Alexandria and is listed as a training ship by the Egyptian Navy. Builder: Samuda Bros… Designer: Sir Oliver Lang.. 145.72m Motor Yacht 1865
6. “Swift141” Built by Abu Dhabi MAR with exterior design by Pierrejean, Swift is one of the biggest and most luxurious superyachts in the world. At 141 metres, she offers accommodation for up to 60 guests and up to 56 crew members. She has an astonishing range of 5000nm. Builder: ADMShipyards. Designer: Pierrejean Desi.. 141m Motor Yacht 2010
7. “Al Salamah” Code named as Mipos (short for Mission Possible) during her construction, Al Salamah belongs to Saudi Arabian Defence Minister Prince Sultan bin Abdul Aziz. Kept a great secret, rumours tell that she has over 80 rooms, a helipad, and an indoor swimming pool complete with a glass roof. A real working wonder, this yacht was completed in 1999 after only two years. Builder: Lurssen Yachts. Designer: Terence Disdale.. 139.30m Motor Yacht 1999
8. “Rising Sun” Jointly owned by Oracle founder Larry Ellison and media bigwig David Geffen, Rising Sun is rumoured to have been commissioned by Ellison specifically to be larger than Paul Allen’s Octopus. This 2004 yacht is spread over five decks and is equipped with everything from Jacuzzi bathrooms and wine cellars to a top deck basketball court. Builder: Lurssen Yachts.. Designer: Bannenberg and .. 138m Motor Yacht 2004
9. “Savarona” With a length far ahead of its time, Savarona was built in 1931 for Emily Roebling Cadwalader and was the first yacht constructed by Blohm and Voss. Most famous for its spectacularly intricate staircase, the ship was almost completely destroyed by fire in 1979 only to be refitted and returned to the seas over 13 years later. Builder: Blohm + Voss .. Designer: Cox & Stevens.. 135.95m Motor Yacht 1931
10. “Fincantieri 134m” Built by Fincantieri Yachts and designed by Espen Oeino, the 134 metre Fincantieri is due to launch in 2010. Key features will include, among others, two helicopter landing platforms, storage for a large submarine able to reach a depth of more than 100 metres, an indoor seawater pool that can be also used for tender docking and 2,700 square metres of luxury interior space designed by Pascale Reymond of Reymond Langton Design. Builder: Fincantieri Yachts. Designer: Espen Oeino.. 133.90m Motor Yacht 2010
11. “Al Mirqab” Owned by the Emir of Qatar, this diesel-electric powered yacht was constructed as a successor to the owner’s 95 metre Oceanco yacht. Launched in 2008, Al Mirqab was once known as Project May, and while little technical information is known, the yacht has the incredible combined power output of 140,000kw Builder: Peters Schiffbau .. Designer: Tim Heywood Des.. 133m Motor Yacht 2008
12. “Octopus” With a permanent berth in the International Yacht Club Marina in Antibes, this giant is owned by Microsoft Co-Founder Paul Allen. With a full-time crew of 60 including former Navy Seals, maintenance and salaries on the ship cost a rumoured $200 million. Octopus is well-known for hosting famous faces onboard its well-equipped decks, serviced only by world leaders in their fields. Builder: Lurssen Yachts. Designer: Espen Oeino.. 126.20m Motor Yacht 2003
13. “Alexander” Originally purchased by Greek shipping tycoon, the late John S. Latsis, and converted from passenger’s vessel into a sleek mega-yacht by Hapaq-Lloyd in 1985 (-1987). Alexander remains in the Latsis family, headed by Spiro Latsis, and boasts a wealth of amenities such as a disco bar, 27-seat cinema and beauty salon as well as a wide range of tenders. Builder: Lubecker Flender W.. Designer: Lubecker Flende.. 122m Motor Yacht 1965
14. “A” Code named Project Sigma, this top-secret superyacht was built in 2008 at German shipyard Blohm & Voss GmbH for Russian entrepreneur Andrey Melnichenko. Formed of an extraordinary conceptual design by Philippe Starck, this stunning megayacht has minimal deck space but features an open-plan owner’s ‘loft apartment’ among its litany of unique amenities. Builder: Blohm + Voss .. Designer: Philippe Starck.. 119m Motor Yacht 2008
15.Megayacht “Turama” is a luxury motor yacht guaranteed to make any special occasion feel that much more exclusive. Built-in 2004 by Finnish shipyard Rauma, the 117m Turama is a powerful welded steel vessel whose lovely detailing, such as extensive teak decking, offers a sumptuous atmosphere in which to pamper her guests. Builder Rauma Shipyard. 116.41m Motor Yacht 1990
See some of the mega-yachts in video action at the ILBC
Check out the top 100 superyachts at superyacht times who we would like to give a special thanks too for content release.
It looks like Mr Abramovich and his “Eclipse” will have “the world’s biggest private yacht” title stolen from him if project 1000 gets the thumbs up. The builder of the 200 metre gigayacht from Emocean Yacht Design boasts 10 VIP rooms, 22 guest suites and a private owner’s deck. The 200-metre giant accommodates 45 passengers and 70 crews. Unlucky Roman!!!!
Its WonderFul Post, Excellent work, keep it up
Good post I am a marine life enthusiast and would like to trackback your blog.
Greetings, I love your blog. This is a good site and I wanted to post a comment to let you know, nice job! Thanks Tammy